Tips from the Pros
Here to help in anyway we can.
Tips to make moving easy!
Moving day will be here before you know it! The key to having a smooth and successful move is preparation. If you take the time to plan ahead and get organized in advance, you’ll have much less to worry about on the big day.
Not sure where to begin? We’re here to help! We’ve put together a list of our top moving tips and tricks to help get you started. Get ready for the best moving day you’ve ever had!
Moving prep doesn’t start with packing up your things; it starts way before! The first step is to make sure you have enough packing supplies to get you through. There’s nothing worse than having to scramble around on the day before or morning of your move, trying to find extra boxes.
1. Don't be afraid to order a lot of boxes because you never know - You know the old saying, it’s better to be safe than sorry! It’s much easier to deal with extra boxes than it is to find more at the last minute. Plus, if you purchase boxes from us, we'll take the unused ones back.
2. Pack in all sizes - When picking out boxes, be sure to get a variety of sizes. Think critically about what you need to pack up. While you might think you need just a bunch of large boxes, you’ll probably need more small and medium sized boxes, since most things pack better in them. Get a few wardrobe boxes, many medium and definitely a lot of small boxes.
Packing is a bit of an art form. It’s much more than just throwing your things in random boxes. If you want to make sure your stuff arrives at your new home safely (and is easy to find!), you want to make sure you pack smartly.
3. Don't forget the other moving supplies - So you’ve ordered enough boxes, but you also don’t want to run out of tape! Make sure you have more than you think you’ll need, just in case. It’s also smart to purchase a tape gun to help make box assembly a little faster. Make sure you grab packing paper and everything else you’ll need too!
4. Keep your fragiles safe - Group delicate items together and make sure to label them as fragile. That way your movers will know which boxes need extra care, and can place them in the right spots in the moving van.
5. Paper packing - When packing those delicate items, use proper packing paper instead of newspaper to avoid smears and stains on your valuables. That way, you won’t have to give everything a scrub down before you put it away at your new home.
6. Label your boxes - This one is easy: label each box so you know what’s in it, and which room it goes in. This will make unpacking much easier on you.
7. The golden rule - The heavier the item, the smaller the box! It’s much easier to carry heavier items when they’re in smaller boxes. Save the larger boxes for things that are lighter, but hard to carry on their own. Never over-pack a box.
8. One box, one room - Pack the same room in the same box. Don't mix. This way unpacking is easy.
9. No packing on moving day - Take on this busy day with all of your boxes already packed. It's one less stress. This also includes things like removing all pictures from the walls before moving day.
10. Last in, first out - Tell us which boxes you need first at your new home and we'll load it last on our trucks. That way, you won’t have to go searching for those important items.
11. Finish packing before moving day - We repeat: no packing on moving day! Have everything ready to roll when the team shows up.
12. Keep your most important things with you - Don’t pack cash, jewelry, or prescription medications - keep these with you. You might need to access them on moving day, and it’s nice for the movers if they know they don’t need to worry about keeping track of these small, but very important items.
13. Sort out the details ahead of time - Please know where your movers can park the truck, how they can best access your apartment, and if there are any time limitations on parking or moving hours
14. Prep your furniture - Remove all heavy and breakable items are from dressers and desks, so they’re easier to lift. It also helps to disassemble bedroom sets to save time on moving day.
Need other moving tips and tricks? - If you follow these tips and tricks, you’ll have nothing to worry about on moving day. The more work you do ahead of time, the easier your move will be. Of course, if you need any more advice on how to make your moving day as easy as it can be, give us a call and we’ll be happy to help.
Preparing for your move
Moving can feel a bit like a juggling act. There are a ton of things to keep track of, and it’s easy to forget about all the little things. (And the big things too!) We understand that it’s stressful, which is why we’ll do everything we can to help make things easier on you.
We’re happy to share our expert moving secrets with you! The key to a smooth moving experience is being highly organized. You don’t want to feel frazzled and rushed on moving day. If you take the time to plan things out before the big day, your move will be a breeze. Don’t worry, it’s a whole lot easier than you think!
Our advice is to plan ahead as much as possible. About a month or so before your move, it’s smart to start thinking about what to keep and what to get rid of. After all, there’s no point in paying to move items you just don’t need anymore. Once you’ve cleared out all the stuff you don’t want to take with you, you can start packing up all the things you won’t need right away. This is also a good time to arrange cut off/activation dates for your utilities.
The idea is to take care of the biggest things ahead of time, so when it comes to moving day, you won’t have much left to worry about. It’s going to be a busy day, so you don’t want to have too much left to tackle. If you need some help with planning, don’t worry—we’ve got you covered!
Weeks before the move:
1. Get rid of everything you don’t want moved.
2. Book elevators and make arrangements to have a truck parked in front of both locations for up to 4 hours.
3. Make a list of people and businesses to notify about your new address.
4. Get packing supplies: BOXES, TAPE, PAPER/BUBBLE WRAP for delicate items.
5. Have your items insured. High value items will need verified values in advance of a move.
6. Label items as you pack. Our boxes have rooms designated on them so you can check them off as you go and put notes in the speech bubble.
7. Check all furniture and note any scratches or dents.
8. Drain all fluids from hoses, lawn mowers, propane tanks, etc.
Days before the move:
1. Take down and pack all pictures and hanging items.
2. Make sure all loose items and electronics are packed.
3. Remove all fragile items from dressers and desks.
4. Clean out and pack the bathrooms—you’ll need these items right away at the new place.
5. Remove blankets and linens from beds and pack them up.Pack a bag with a change of clothes and toiletries to keep with you for the first night.move blankets and linens from beds and pack them up.
6. Pack a bag with a change of clothes and toiletries to keep with you for the first night.
More packing and moving tips:
1. Set a goal: 1 room per day per person should give you enough time. Budget more for rooms with fragiles.
2. Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
3. One room in a box. It makes organizing the new place much easier.
4. Boxes that aren’t full aren’t stackable. If you can’t fill a box, stuff the remaining space with paper.
5. Don’t pack boxes on moving day. You’ll end up losing track of things.
Preparing for our movers:
1. Be well packed and clearly labelled.
2. Have everything cleared out that is not coming.
3. Movers load boxes first, so staging them in the most accessible room is best.
4. Take the beds apart before the move.
5. During load up, close doors on rooms that are complete—movers will know to focus on other areas.
6. Direct traffic at the front of the house during the unload, informing the movers where each piece goes.
Access for our movers:
1. Secure designated parking as close to the house or apartment as possible.
2. If there is a difficult area to move things through, having items empty and disassembled helps.
3. Any dressers that have more than 3 rows should be emptied.
Do you protect my furniture when you move it? Our team will protect your furniture with our heavy duty storage blankets in your home prior to transportation. We also carry shrink wrap if your items need an extra layer of protection. Don't worry; your stuff is safe with us.
What happens if my items are damaged during the move? We are federally mandated to pay $.60 per pound for any "damaged" item. We do reserve the right to fix any item, or replace any item if it is not able to be fixed.
What happens if my home is damaged during the move? We will fix any cosmetic damage to walls, floors, and ceiling. Structural damage if not easily fixed will be subcontracted out through our insurance agent or a settlement will be arranged.
Do you move in rain/snow? If so how do you protect my items? Yes, we move in all "non-severe" weather conditions. All items will be covered by storage pads or shrink wrap as they exit your home, and wiped dry as they enter the truck or your new home.
What happens if all of my items don't fit in one truck? During the booking process, or on-site estimate if desired, our trained agent will estimate how many trucks your move will need. In the event that all of your items don’t fit on one truck, the crew will either make an additional trip or reschedule for another day. Whatever is easiest for you.
Do I get charged an extra trip fee if you have to make two trips? No, one flat-rate upfront travel fee is charged for each truck required to complete your move.
When does my hourly time start? We don't start the clock until we arrive at your home, and we stop the clock once you confirm we've moved everything you need us to move.
Can you move plants? Yes, but plants can be tricky to move so we recommend you move them ahead of time so they don't get damaged.
How is my furniture protected when you move it? We used shoulder harness straps and padded dollies to help prevent any damage to large furniture items. If necessary will wrap your items before we move them to further protect them from any damage.
Are you licensed, insured? Yes, we are fully insured and licensed to provide you worry free service. All our staff are well trained to make your day stress free and easy.
Do you have any hidden fees? We only gives upfront pricing. We have no hidden fees, our prices are all inclusive. We charge a minimum and hourly rate for your move that is quoted to you upfront. Any other charges will be discussed prior to your actual move date.
What forms of payment do you accept? We accept all major credit and debit cards, Zelle, PayPal and cash.
Will you disassemble and reassemble my bed? We will disassemble and reassemble all standard beds. Custom made beds or baby cribs will need to be disassembled before we arrive, and then we will move them with care to your new home.